Friday, August 28, 2009

August 28, 2009

Temp:
~ low 68° F
~ high 80° F
Drizzly early. Overcast all day.
Rainfall - a few drops


Soil amendment needs for production garden:

Based on the soil test results, my state cooperative extension recommends (per 1000 sq ft - I have 4800 sq ft.)

74 lbs dolomitic limestone / 1000 sq ft - need 355 lbs

2.5 lbs muriate of potash (0-0-60) / 1000 sq ft - need 12 lbs

8 lbs triple superphosphate (0-46-0) / 1000 sq ft - need 38.4 lbs

Natural alternatives (as per this chart):
~ for phosphorus - Bonemeal, Colloidal phosphate, Greensand, Rock phosphate
~ for potassium - Granite meal, Greensand, Kelp meal, Potash rock, Potassium nitrate, Potassium sulfate, Wood ashes

QUESTION?????- How much would I need of any of the above to meet the recommendations of the cooperative extension?????

Notes
While I was out shopping, someone stopped by and asked Dan if we would sell her any tomatoes? She noticed ours and had to stop because they looked so good and she was so hungry for them. She said the price at the grocery store was outrageous. He told her to help herself. When she wanted to pay him, he said he couldn't take her money. But she didn't feel right about not giving him something, so he told her to just give him what she thought it was worth. I don't know how much she took, be he presented me with a $5 bill when I got home. First time I've sold any garden produce! They are tasty indeed, so I know she will enjoy them. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment