Thursday, March 21, 2013

Day 68 of 365

Sunny with a cold, biting wind
  • Low: 30 F
  • High: 51 F
Week 3 rainfall total: 0.6"

Extended the new aisles in the garden for 2 more beds and shaped those beds.

Planted 6, 16 foot rows of Wando peas. The seed is a couple years old so I'm not sure how well it will do. It was all saved seed and I planted almost all of it.

Surprise is producing way more milk than Alphie can manage, so I'm milking her. He favors one side so I get the other. Except that she's been on antibiotics so we can't use the milk. I am feeding it to the chickens, so I reckon we're still getting some of the antibiotic in our eggs (?)

Made roll-ups for dinner with the leftover chevon from the bone broth I made previously. (Froze it and then defrosted.) Added basil pesto I made 2 years ago when I had an abundance of sweet basil. Also roasted sweet potatoes with olive oil, salt, pepper, and garlic powder (non of which were home grown.) It was accompanied by grape kefir soda.

My kefir soda hasn't been consistently fizzy yet. I still need to get a feel for the lengths of time it needs.

3 comments:

  1. After 24 hours on the counter I put my 50/50 kefir juice in the 'fridge. Then I resist drinking for at least 2-3 days because that's when the real fizz turns up. Also, some fruit juices are low in sugar so I add 1/2-1t of table sugar (per 16oz) when bottling up. It really helps the fizz.

    Are your grains multiplying yet?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kris, yes, they are multiplying! It was slow, I think, because my kitchen usually dips down into the 50s at night, and doesn't warm up much unless I have the wood cookstove going.

      I've started dating my jars so I'll be able to keep better track of the time they're on the counter and in the fridge. I'll try the 50/50 ratio; I think I've been doing about 2:1 kefir to juice. And come to think of it, the older soda does seem fizziest. I like that it's not super sweet.

      Delete
    2. Yep - I've got a 'fridge full of dated bottles. LOL The more fizz, the less sweet/sugar and just a tiiiiny bit more alcohol, which really helps the flavor on the tongue. Glad the grains are multiplying. Mine are totally getting out of hand. I'm going to start soaking extra grains in juice then add them to jello to use them up. ;-D

      Delete