Friday, April 19, 2013

Day 96 of 265

We're waterlogged. Need I say more?
  • Low: 52 F
  • High: 69 F
Rainfall: 1.1"

Rainy day so, kitchen day:
  • skimmed & froze cream
  • grated, weighted & froze extra mozzarella
  • dried herbs
  • froze an experimental batch of milk kefir grains
  • Ditto with water kefir grains
  • ground flour to feed sourdough starter

Milk. I'm getting whatever Alphie doesn't want, which is at least half a gallon a day, sometimes more. That's okay. I think kids need plenty of mom's milk for a good healthy start in life. No sense short changing the kids just so we can get more early on. Anyway, I'm beginning to incorporate more milk into our diet: in pudding for dessert, in creamed soup for lunch. From the mozzarella, I'm using whey for anything that needs water, like pizza dough for tonight's pizza. Chickens get some too.

Eating the food:
Some of our meals are so repetitious (but that seems to be part and parcel of the simple life) that I feel like I could just copy and past that information day after day. For example, almost every day we have kefir with cereal for breakfast, for lunch we have cracklings and scrambled eggs with (some kind of bread or toast), butter, jelly or jam, and cream for the coffee. Now that the salad fixings are coming in, we can have salad every day.

Last night I made quick sourdough biscuits that were mighty tasty. It's a recipe I'd like to experiment with.
  • 1 cup unbleached white flour
  • 1/3 cup organic shortening
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 1 cup sourdough starter
Cut shortening into dry ingredients, mix in starter, roll, cut, bake at about 400° F for 12 minutes or until golden brown.

I put the cut, unbaked biscuits on a baking sheet a bit ahead of time because I was waiting for Dan to get home. It was only a matter of about 10 minutes, but when I put them in the oven, I could see they were already starting to rise. Was it because I have such a happy sourdough starter? I'd like to experiment with allowing them to rise a little more and see what kind of difference that makes.

No comments:

Post a Comment