Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Day 120 of 365

A faded blue sky
Southerly wind hot and dry
Summer soon to come
  • Low: 57° F
  • High: 90° F

Alphie's weaning has officially begun. I'd hoped to let him nurse for at least 3 months, but as is the way with bucklings, his adult hormones kicked in at 8 weeks of age. He had begun to pester the does by trying to breed them. No one is in heat so I didn't think there was a chance of anyone being bred, but besides them having to constantly fend him off, I have the new, 1 week old doelings to think of. All this means that I am now getting all of Surprise's milk. Today's total was 5 quarts. I did milk early yesterday afternoon, so I'll be curious over the next several days as to how much I get. Maybe it's time to get that ice cream maker. :)

Mulched the last potato bed.

Cleaned out Ziggy's stall and started a new compost pile.

Cut into cheese #15. I'm eating them out of order. :) Quite sharp; noted it was made with yogurt cheese whey. Excellent toasted on leftover pumpkin pancakes.

Dan hasn't really loved any of the first batch of cheeses I made. I'm thinking part of that may be because the milk was just a tad "goaty." Now I realize it was a B vitamin deficiency. With the addition of yeast extract, Surprise's milk has sweetened right up.

Harvested:
  • lettuce
  • strawberries
  • broccoli
Eating:
  • milk kefir
  • strawberries
  • water kefir
  • pickle relish
  • sourdough pumpkin pancakes
  • goat cheese


No comments:

Post a Comment