Friday, July 12, 2013

Day 172 of 365

Started out sunny, then clouds. Right before chore time it began to rain. The rain was cold with hail.
  • Low: 67° F
  • High: 89° F
Rainfall: 1.6"

Harvested:
  • tomatoes
  • cucumbers
  • strawberries
  • dill
  • horseradish
  • Swiss chard

Preserved:
  • Dill pickles, 10 pints. "Fresh Pack Dill Pickle" recipe from The Practical Produce Cookbook page 91. Used homegrown cukes, dill, and garlic.
  • Swiss chard, dehydrated.

I'm getting enough strawberries to top cereal every other day or so. The critters have been leaving them alone now too, no more pecks and bites.

2 comments:

  1. How nice of the critters to leave you some of your fruit!

    I am not familiar with that cookbook but "Fresh Pack Dill Pickle" just sounds like a nice crunchy pickle..just how I like them.

    Have a happy weekend. xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does sound like a crunchy pickle doesn't it? Last year I tried a recipe, De-lish dill pickles that was supposed to be crunchy. The trick was to soak the cucumber spears or slices in ice water first. It worked somewhat. In this recipe, the jars are put into actively boiling water and the timing begun immediately. I have to say that there was very little loss of liquid and no shrinkage that I can see. I'm curious to try them after they age. I'll let you know how they turn out.

      Delete