Thursday, October 17, 2013

Checking In

I hate to say it, but it's a relief to not have to record my progress every day. Too much going on!

Our temperature range has been from the 50s to 70s and today we had
  • 0.4" rain.

I'm thinking I probably should have harvested the sweet potatoes while the soil was fairly dry.

Dan has tilled about 7 of our summer beds so far and I've been planting:
  • garlic
  • more beets
  • parsnips
  • sugar beets
  • mesclun
  • replacement cabbage and collard plants
  • lettuce
  • radishes
  • multiplier onions
  • turnips
It's a little late but better late than never.

I've also been planting annual rye, wheat, and oats in the pastures for the goats.

Chickens are moulting so I'm only getting one egg per day. So glad I have some in the freezer.

I'm starting to do my freezer canning. Pizza sauce was a flop (literally, details here), and I still have jellies to do.

Baked one of my frozen blueberry pies tonight. What a blessing to have dessert so easy to fix!

Eating: kefir, eggs when available, homemade jams, jellies, and pickles, chevon, goat cheese, butter, steamed greens (kale & pak choy), potatoes, and yummy salads of garden greens, radishes, frozen peas, and an occasional tomato.

Field corn harvest post here (will be published on Oct. 18)

Last garden photo post here.

I reckon that's it for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment