Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Day 60 of 365

This morning was overcast and drizzly after last night's rain. Turned sunny in the afternoon.
  • Low: 50° F
  • High: 69° F

I am so glad I did my transplanting yesterday. The rain was perfect for the plants.

Harvested: mangels for the goats and chickweed for the chickens.

Today I got the chevon bone broth out of the fridge. I had previously simmered it for about 3 days, and then put it in the refrigerator until I could get to it. I skimmed off the fat and put it in a pan to melt and strain. Then I strained out the broth for canning, and separated the soft bits from the bones. There was about enough meat for a casserole or soup, and plenty of fat tidbits, gristle, tendons and veins for the chickens.

I also defrosted the remaining chevon stew meat, and canned it with some of the broth. From 13 pounds frozen meat I got 7 quarts of stew meat.

I used my new Tattler lids for the broth, and regular lids for the meat (because I don't have any wide mouth size Tattler lids yet).

Canning totals:
  • 10 pints bone broth
  • 7 quarts bone broth
  • 7 quarts stew meat with broth

No comments:

Post a Comment