Sunday, February 10, 2013

Day 35 of 365

Overcast most of the day until rain late in the afternoon. (Total tomorrow)
  • Low 39
  • High 57

Continued simmering the next batch of bone broth on the wood cookstove.

Eating the food:
Breakfast
  • frozen blueberries (in pancakes)
  • butter
  • cream in coffee
Lunch
  • scrambled eggs (in sandwiches)
  • lettuce
  • sauerruben
Dinner
  • squirrel cooked in slow cooker with chicken bone broth
  • canned Swiss chard with cracklins
  • butter & milk (in mashed potatoes)
  • coffee cream


5 comments:

  1. Hey - you cooked up one of those squirrels you had in the freezer. *heh* How did it turn out? I'm 6 shy belligerent black squirrels so far ... and counting. The fox is dining well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kris, it was very tasty. I had two in the freezer, so I put them in the slow cooker with the bone broth and some muscadine wine. No wild or gamey taste at all. Small boned though, so it was fiddly with the meat.

      Delete
    2. I was too timid to eat the things myself (and I've never skinned anything). Still, your post gives me something to think about...

      Delete
    3. Dan did the skinning and gutting when he shot them. That being said, he's not convinced there was enough meat on them to make them worth all that work(!)

      Delete
    4. Tell Dan I'm just as glad now to support our lone local fox... *heh*

      Delete