Friday, February 15, 2013

Day 40 of 365

Mostly sunny until late in the afternoon
  • Low: 32 F
  • High: 61 F

Today was errand day so I didn't get much done for the garden. I did discover I have only 2 pizzas-worth of my mozzarella in the freezer, so I bought a gallon of raw cows milk to make more. Ziggy is only giving me about 2 cups per day, which is enough for cream for the coffee and kefir. Maybe I sold Edy and Nessie too soon! At least I can buy raw cows milk. I've never made mozz from it though, so will have to check a recipe to see what to do differently.

Set a batch of kefir to strain in cheesecloth for kefir cream cheese.

Harvested mangels as usual for the goats. These are starting to get woody so I don't know how much longer I'll be able to chop them up for them. Still have plenty of sweet potatoes in storage so they get these too.

I keep forgetting to mention that I've been finding chickweed growing to gather for the chickens. They love it.

Fed a batch of dried, crushed egg shells to the chickens.

I've also decided what to do with all my frozen tomatoes, can more tomato soup. I was undecided pending whether or not we had enough pizza sauce, which we do. The tomato soup though is dynamite. I'll use this recipe, but I'll pressure can it. Also I'll probably omit the butter and flour, like I did last year. The USDA says it isn't safe to can this way and really, it's a breeze to make a cream sauce and add a pint jar of soup. When I cook it, I've been mixing my milk 50/50 with water or stock, because Ziggy's milk is so creamy. So, I got the tomatoes out to defrost because tomorrow is supposed to be cold and rainy. Maybe I'll try the mozzarella tomorrow too.

2 comments:

  1. Between the drought and the deer last year my tomato crop was a total bust. It's been annoying not to have frozen tomato mash for sauce and soup this winter. :-( Wish I could find raw milk around here. Ah well....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Things like that really teach us to use what we have on hand, don't they? I'm learning to put up as much of whatever I can get my hands on but not count on anything! Makes for some creative meal planning sometimes. :)

      Delete